Weaning is the introduction of solid food alongside your baby’s usual breast milk or infant formula – it can be an exciting, but also nerve-wracking time as a parent. With lots to think about already over the festive period, Katie from Scrummy Tummies has pulled together some delicious festive weaning recipes to help keep your little one involved during mealtimes.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 35ml full fat milk (or plant-based alternative)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases or use a silicone muffin tray.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and allspice.
3. Add the melted butter, egg, milk and banana and mix well.
4. Divide the mixture across the 12 muffin cases and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes.
Leftover Christmas Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 low salt chicken stock cubes (can sub for vegetable) in 0.5L stock
1. Peel and chop all your ingredients. Make the potatoes and parsnips quite small so they don’t take too long to cook.
2. In a little oil fry the onion, garlic and celery for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add the rest of the vegetables and fry on a medium heat for around 5-10 minutes until they all start to soften.
4. Add the stock and give it a good stir.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
6. Remove from the heat and using a stick blender, blend the food until there are no lumps and it’s of a thick consistency.
Apple & Cinnamon Porridge
- 40g jumbo oats
- 200ml full fat milk (plant-based alternatives, breastmilk, formula milk or water can all be used instead)
- 1 apple, peeled & grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix the oats with the milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Stir through the apple and cinnamon.
3. Simmer for five minutes.